The whole month of August 2011 is a blurr to me.
Curtis & I went on vacation from July 28th until August 6th. We
went to Utah to visit family & friends in Salt Lake & St. George (see
previous posts). It was hot, but nice to spend time together & see
everyone. When we got home I wasn't feeling good & spend a week at
home trying to "recover" from our vacation, I may have gone on oral
antibiotics that week, but can’t remember now.
We celebrated our 6th Anniversary on August 12th. We didn’t do much since I wasn’t feeling
good, but I do remember that we had Corino’s take-out. Sunday August 14th was a big day
for us….Curtis was released as the Scout Master at church! The whole 6 yrs we have been married, he has
been either the Assistant Scout Master or the Scout Master. But don’t worry; he is still working in
scouting, but this time as the Scout Committee Chairman. So he still gets to do stuff with the scouts,
but doesn’t have to go camping every month or go to the weekly activities. Honestly this couldn’t have come at a better
time.
After coming home from vacation we had decided
that maybe it was time for me to go to the hospital again. The last admission that I had was back in
January & February of 2010. This
time though we wanted to get insurance approval to go to St. Luke’s hospital
because they are the ones that have the Idaho CF center & are more
comfortable caring for CF patients. (our insurance is contracted w/St.
Al’s…& staying there is tough since my primary doctors are w/Luke’s). So I contacted our amazing CF clinic nurse
Mary & talked to Perry about it, since they had to be the ones to write a
letter to get insurance to pay for it. I
did have CF clinic on Tuesday August 16th. They were still waiting for the final ok from
insurance, but were 99% sure that we had it.
We decide that it would be easier to go into the hospital the next
morning. Then they could get all the
paper work/orders done, we would have insurance approval, & I could pack my
bags & bring what I need.
Anyway, the night before I was suppose to go to
the hospital my lung collapsed simply from a regular cough while we were at
home. Curtis & I were sitting on the couch trying to decide what to
have for dinner & I started coughing. Nothing new. After I was done coughing I had a pain on my
right side. Again nothing new,
especially since I cough so hard, I often can pull a muscle or throw my back
out. After about 20 seconds Curtis
looked over at me & asked if I was ok. By this point I felt like someone
was stabbing me in the back by my shoulder blade & felt like someone was
sitting on my chest in the front. I also
could not get a deep breath in. We
turned up my O2 & I did an abulterol nebulizer treatment. At the same time as this Curtis was googling
chest pain & the symptoms that I had.
We both realized at the same time w/in 10 min that I probably had a collapsed
lung. Curtis wanted to call the
ambulance, but I told him it would be faster if he just drove me to the
ER. When I stood up I about passed out
because of all the pain! Curtis gave me a quick priesthood blessing & we
were on our way. We went on faith & went to St. Luke’s downtown.
It’s amazing how fast you can get into the ER when
you come in & can’t breathe! They took me right back & w/in 20 min of
arriving it was determined that I for sure had a complete right lung
collapse. Then they placed a chest tube
into me to start removing the air & fluid that had filled up
the cavity where my inflated lung should have been. I honestly
don't know how I was able to make it through all of that. Getting a chest
tube placed was soooo painful & such a horrible experience. (They
don’t give you any medicine & they stab you w/a huge needle in-between your
ribs & into your chest cavity. Then
they pass a tube through it that stays.
The tube is then hooked up to suction, or a negative pressure
vacuum. This then helps remove the
air/fluid from the chest cavity & it expands your lung….yes, it is just as
horrible as it sounds, sorry for the details if you have a week stomach). While I was experiencing all of this, if I
thought about it too deeply it scared me to death! BUT I was able to
remain fairly calm during everything & the Lord was there helping me.
I know that I had angels in the room with me!
This is what my collapsed lung looks like. The triangular drum in my chest is my port
that we use for IVs. All of the black
around the right lung is NOT suppose to be there Yes, my lungs have a lot of scar tissue in them. (one of my amazing RTs showed me
my xrays & took the picture for me)
About 6 hrs after I got my chest tube place, in the
wee hrs of the morning (4 am…) I had an air leak from my chest tube & my
soft tissue/skin on my body swelled up. I thought that my lung was
collapsing all over again. It hurt sooo
bad!!! It started in my right chest & shoulder area & spread pretty
quickly through the rest of my body, except my legs. My arm looked like a
Poppeye arm after he eats spinach, my cheeks looked like golf balls were in
them & I had a double chin. The air leak that I had is called
crepitus. The medical definition
is: Crepitus: A clinical sign in medicine
that is characterized by a peculiar crackling, crinkly, or grating feeling or
sound under the skin, around the lungs, or in the joints. Crepitus in soft
tissues is often due to gas, most often air, that has penetrated and infiltrated
an area where it should not normally be (for example, in the soft tissues
beneath the skin). Crepitus in a joint can indicate cartilage wear in the joint
space. When
you touched my skin you could feel the “rice crispies” or “bubble wrap popping”
under my skin. It was extremely painful
& scary. So, then I had to get a second chest tube placed. (Thankfully
I was given medicine this time & so it wasn’t so traumatic). That first 24
hrs were the scariest that I have ever had!
This is the one and only time I will be “fat Sara”
The first couple of days w/two chest tubes &
crepitus were horrible. I was on
constant pain medication & could only move enough (with help) to get out of
bed, turn & sit to use the bedside commode. I also couldn’t take a shower
while I had chest tubes. Thankfully each
day was a little better. By day 5 or 6 I
could get to the bathroom (with help) & use the toilet in private. While I was hooked up to the chest tubes I
was on full suction. So I had 2 boxes
that only had about 12 ft of tubing total for me to be able to move around the
room with. Man, I had so many tubes
& cords during that week…O2 tube, 2 chest tubes, IV line, 24 hr heart
monitor on (w/5 wires that were stuck to me all the time), my feeding tube at
night, & I’m sure there was some other tube/cord that I am missing. So yes, I only had about 12 ft. of room to
move around with. By day 10 I was
starting to really wish that I could take a real shower (instead of a bed bath)
& wanted to even just go out & walk the halls. But I couldn’t be off of suction. Finally on day 12 they pulled the bottom chest
tube out & the doctor FINALLY gave me permission to go out and walk the
halls and just be on water seal (meaning no more vacuum suction & being
stuck to the wall). I LOVED being able to
go out of my room!!! On day 13 they
pulled out the last chest tube. I had to
stay ibin the hospital a few more days after that before I was released to go
home. By this time I only had one small
area of crepitus & I wasn’t needed any more pain medication. Yay!!!
Boxes that collected all of the fluid that the chest tubes were pulling out from
my chest cavity & helping to re-inflate my lung. These were part of the
tubing/12 ft of leeway that I had for 12 days
Lungs 1 week after having chest tubes, there was still an area on the top right lung that wasn't completely healed, but you can tell it's MUCH better than before!
Finally being able to go more than 12 ft & getting
out of
my hospital room for some new scenery!
My hospital stay was full of scary moments but there were so many blessings. During that time I was blessed to have my lungs get better a little bit each day. I was able to get lots of rest & lots of good therapy for my lungs to heal. Curtis was also blessed to be able to handle all of this very well. He was able to keep up with his busy work schedule while also getting to spend time with me each day. During my whole hospital stay, but especially at the beginning of it, I often thought of my Savior Jesus Christ. I can’t imagine that the pain that He suffered. His pain was even MORE than what I was currently experiencing. I still don’t completely understand the Atonement, but I did gain a small glimpse into what Christ has done for us when He took on himself all of our pain (physically/emotionally/spiritually) that we experience. I have gained a stronger testimony that the Lord really does KNOW who WE are & that HE LOVES US. All of my needs were met through other people being there when I needed them most...doctors, nurses, & others. Each day I had small tender mercies from the Lord. Those tender mercies are what helped me get through all of this. I'm soooo thankful for them, for the power of prayer & for the knowledge that I have that I am a Child of God & that He loves me & is helping me every step of the way.


.jpg)
.jpg)

1 comment:
Sarah, you are such a trooper. Best of luck to you in Seattle. We'll keep you in our prayers. :)
Post a Comment