So July 29th I went in for g-tube round #2. This peg-tube was SOOOO much better than the first one. The GI Dr. drugged me up enough so I didn't wake up during the procedure, which was a HUGE blessing! (I am tough and can handle procedures, but having a tube placed down your throat into your stomach with you awake is NOT a pleasant experience and one that I never want to experience again). Since I was completely out this time, the Dr. was able to find a better place to place the tube and he also made the tube a little shorter. I actually think that a new "spot" for the tube and it being shortened helped my healing time a TON!!! Yes, it was still painful to recover from, but I actually discovered that you don't have to be in pain the whole time you have a tube in your stomach. Round 1, I hurt the entire time when ever I coughed, round 2, I was able to not really notice the pain while coughing about 3-4 weeks after the placement of the tube. Because of the nightmare of round 1 when we switched from the peg-tube to the button (and the ultimate removal of the tube altogether), I decided that I was going to wait at least 10 weeks before converting the peg-tube to a button. I also talked to my CF GI doctor about what G-tube button brand(s) would work best for me and ordered that button before I set up to have the switch made.
16 weeks after getting my 2nd tube placed I was finally able to have the long tube replaced for a brand new button!!! The best part: It looks beautiful and works 100 times better than the first button that I had!!!! It's so nice to have something small and not feel like I have an "extra arm or leg" growing out of my stomach. Now on to pictures....warning, I did take them all myself and they might gross you out a little, but I find the pictures fascinating and I wanted documentation of everything that I have been through to gain weight and be healthier.
Here is the amazing new button that I have now. It's called an AMT Mini balloon button. The balloon part is inside my stomach and the flat part sits outside my stomach. The side opening on the top is where you put the fluid through for the balloon inside after you place it into the stoma (or hole in my stomach) The purpose of the balloon is to help hold the tube in place and also acts as a seal from the inside of my stomach, although with all of my coughing that I do, I still have some leakage through my site but it's noting compared to what it was when I first got the long tube placed.Doesn't it look so nice and small!!!
You can also see my battle wounds from the first round.
Coming soon: Pictures of me before my feeding tube journey and now after I've gained 15 lbs! :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment