Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Front page of the paper for the 2nd time...

Yep, it's happened again. I'm in the paper and it was on the front page of the Idaho Statesman. This time it was about the Idaho Legislature wanting to completely get rid of the Adult CF program that pays up to $18,000 a year per Adult CF Patient. This year's story was printed on St. Patrick's day. The story 4 yrs ago was about the Idaho Legislature wanting to increase the funding for the program from around $2,500 yr per adult patient to $18,000 yr per adult patient (which did pass!). This story was printed on Valentine's day. Both stories talked about the struggles that I go through each day living with CF and features a picture of me using the Vest on the main front page of the paper. I really wish that I wasn't on the main front page, but I guess it's good because people definitely notice it!

here's the link for the story this week:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/localnews/story/700568.html

Being interviewed by the reporter is kinda intimidating. The reporters are usually nice and friendly, but they are writing down everything that you say! I didn't think about it too much while I was talking to them, but afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about the questions that they asked and if I answered them "correctly" or not. Did they understand what I said or did they interpret it differently? However, after it's all said and done I did what needed to be done. I told them truthfully about my life and how I felt about them trying to get rid of the program. I answered the questions and in the end they are the ones that write it and I have no control over that. I helped to put a real face to the issue at hand and I hope that helps. I know several other adult CF patients in the valley (besides my sisters) and they could have interviewed any of us and it would have had the same effect. Of course the thing that I don't like the most about all of this is the attention on me. I hate only being known as "the person with CF". But, CF is a part of who I am and I wouldn't change my life.

I'm getting use to all of the "Hey, I saw you in the paper!" and I just smile and say "yep". Yesterday I also heard a few times "I've never known anyone in the paper before and especially someone on the front page". Hmm...so what about a person who's made it on the front page twice in 4 yrs? Does that give me celebrity status? J/K So, on Facebook I was commenting back and forth with a few friends about the article. Dixie (CF research coordinator & RT) was also quoted in the paper. She mentioned that she was sad that one of her quotes didn't make it in the article. She said "they didn't use my usual quote of thick sticky mucus. It just rolls off the tongue!" Yes, gross....but true & VERY funny! You have to find humor in the not so fun things in life. :o)

Last thing, I encourage EVERYONE to write to their State representatives about any of the issues that you feel are important. If you live in Idaho, Please write to them and let them know of the importance of this program to the many Idaho Adult CF patients who rely on this program to help them get the medications and medical care that they need. We have the freedom and choice to vote for those who represent us in the government and to let them know how we feel about the issues. They have the responsibility to listen to our concerns!!!!

3 comments:

RxMommy said...

Hey what book are you reading in the picture?

Sara_and_Curtis said...

I'm reading Anita Stansfield's book "A Distant Thunder". It's the 2nd book of a 3 part novel. I borrowed the series from my Grandma Ward. I think you would like them. It's about a guy who is a talented musician, (he plays mostly by ear) and the different struggles that he has as he tries to follow his dreams. I read all 3 books in about 2 weeks and cried through a lot of it. I think you would like them.

C & K said...

AMEN!